Domestic Travel

Travel within the contiguous 48 states is considered Domestic Travel.

Restricted Travel Law AB 1887

Effective January 1, 2017, state-funded travel to the following states is prohibited:

  • Alabama
  • Arkansas
  • Florida
  • Idaho
  • Iowa
  • Kansas
  • Kentucky
  • Mississippi
  • Montana
  • North Carolina
  • North Dakota
  • Ohio
  • Oklahoma
  • South Carolina
  • South Dakota
  • Tennessee
  • Texas
  • West Virginia

For more information regarding the restricted travel policy, please visit:

Please consult your ISBER Contract & Grant Administrator regarding potential travel plans to any of the states listed above.


  • Travelers are asked to report actual, out-of-pocket expenses and may be reimbursed up to the $62/day limit. Meals and incidental expenses for travel less than 24 hours in duration cannot be reimbursed.
  • The $62/day limit is not a "per diem" and you cannot simply claim the full amount without specifying how much was spent on each meal. While you are not required to have original receipts for food, you must fill out the Meal Log to breakdown your expenses.
  • Expenses above the $62/day allowance will not be reimbursed, and partial days will be reimbursed for the amount claimed by the traveler up to the maximum allowance.
  • If you are a group leader (paying for other's expenses), you must submit original itemized receipts for all meal costs incurred.
  • Per UC Policy, we cannot reimburse for any alcohol purchased, and it is the traveler's responsibility to exclude these costs from the total reimbursement requested.


  • Itemized receipts are always required, and should show a $0 balance due.
  • Per UC Policy, hotel rates will be capped at $275 per night for trips within the lower 48 states, before taxes and other hotel fees. If your hotel is in a higher cost city and you are unable to secure a room at or below $275, you must submit the Lodging Limit Justification form as to why a rate under the cap could not be obtained and provide screen shots of price comparisons within the proximity of the meeting location. Please note it is critical that the price comparison be performed during the time of booking, not after.
  • When a traveler lodges with a friend or relative while on official UC business, the cost of the gift to the host/hostess may be reimbursed up to $75 in lieu of lodging. Receipt required.

Vehicle Travel

Car Rentals

Car rentals should be booked through Connexxus, which can be found here UC has agreements with the major car rental companies that provide special rates and include liability insurance coverage. Rentals made outside of Connexxus do not include liability insurance coverage and purchase of any insurance is not reimbursable.

Note: Foreign travel has different rules. Always contact your Contract & Grant Administrator before departing on a foreign trip.


Reimbursement of approximately $0.56/mile is allowed when a personal vehicle is used in preference to a UC vehicle. This rate is subject to change. All personal vehicles must have liability insurance in order for mileage to be reimbursed. UC Policy mandates that the least expensive method of travel be used.

University Vehicles

Various types of vehicles, including sedans, suburban, pickup trucks and vans, are available to rent via an on-campus recharge through Transportation Services. Rental rates and reservation information can be found here ISBER must be notified to authorize the charge to your grant, and vehicles will not be released until this has been completed.

Taxis vs. Public Transportation

Public transportation such as buses, subway and shuttles should be used as much as possible rather than taxis. Taxis should only be used in situations where it would be impractical to use public transportation, or it is unavailable. UC has partnered with UBER! Create your corporate account here.