Employment FAQs

Hiring an undergraduate student:

The Principal Investigator will need to fill out the top portion of an Employment Request Form (ERF) and submit it to ISBER Student Personnel before the first day of employment. Be sure to provide a paragraph or greater describing their duties. Blank fields may delay the processing of the request.

Hiring a graduate student:

The Principal Investigator will need to fill out a Graduate Student Employment Request Form and submit it to ISBER Student Personnel before the first day of employment. Be sure to provide a paragraph or greater describing their duties. Blank fields may delay the processing of the request. 

Note: A person is prohibited from working without some type of appointment (including without salary employees); this is mainly to ensure Workers' Compensation coverage. In addition, any persons not currently employed on campus will need to complete employment documents on or before their first day of employment. Please have prospective student employees contact ISBER Student Personnel to set up a hiring appointment, which should take approximately 20 minutes. The new employee will be required to provide specific, original forms of identification.  If the employee is not a US citizen, they will also need to provide their visa documents and proof of employment eligibility.

The Student Assistant I title is used for this type of employment. The minimum hourly rate is $10.50/hour and can go as high as $35/hour, depending on the relative degree of difficulty inherent in the manual, clerical, advising, public contact, and/or research related duties performed. 

When hiring a graduate student in the Student Assistant series, please note the student is employed in a non-academic appointment and the work performed is frequently clerical or manual, but can support academic research projects.

In the Student Assistant I (Title Code 4922), you may hire an undergraduate with an hourly rate at or above the California minimum wage, which is currently $10.00 an hour. 

This series has one level, with a large span of pay, depending on the relative degree of difficulty in the manual labor, clerical, advising, public contact, and/or research related duties performed:

Student Assistant I (Title Code 4922):     $10.50 - $35.00/hr

Please contact ISBER Student Personnel for specifics.

Most undergrads are hired at 49% time or less.  However, an undergraduate may work up to, but not exceed, 40 hours during any Sunday thru Saturday period, without paying them overtime at a premium rate. Note that this includes all employment on campus, so their combined hours may need to be monitored.

Please contact ISBER Student Personnel for any employment greater than 49% in order to verify eligibility for holiday pay, vacation and/or sick leave accrual.

Whether you choose the Student Assistant title (see FAQ on hiring an undergrad above) or the Graduate Student Researcher (GSR) title depends on the type of work the grad student will be performing. 

According to Academic Personnel and the Graduate Division (see links below), a GSR (Title Codes 3276 & 3284) is a registered UC graduate student who performs research related to the student's degree program in an academic department or research unit under the direction of a faculty member or Principal Investigator.  The student functions as an active collaborator and/or fundamental contributor to the intellectual content of the research. The appointee to this title must hold a BA/BS degree, must be a full-time registered graduate student, and must have a grade point average of 3.0 or above. 

It is the policy of the University to pay fees (GSFR) and health insurance (UC-SHIP) for GSRs as a condition of their employment. General Information can be found at the Graduate Division website and in the Academic Personnel Policies and Procedures-Red Binder

Prior to hiring a graduate student (regardless of the title), we must verify the student's eligibility for the appointment with their home department. PIs are required to fill out and submit the ISBER Graduate Student Employment Request Form.  Please work with ISBER Student Personnel to coordinate this process with the home department.

During the academic quarter, graduate students may work a maximum of 50% combined employment.   With the approval of their home department, they may be able to work a maximum of 75%.  This approval is granted on a quarterly basis and must be granted before the student begins employment.  Please work with ISBER Student Personnel on getting this approval (see Graduate Student Employment Request Form). 
For employment during the inter-quarter and summer periods please see Section IV-2 of the Academic Policies & Proceedures- Red Binder.    
Note: Most non-citizen students are ineligible to work greater than 50% during the academic quarter.

The criteria for appointment to each of the steps listed below are provided as guidelines:

Step I Pre-Masters degree, with no previous GSR experience
Step II One year's graduate work completed
Step III Post-Masters degree, or completion of at least two academic years of full-time graduate degree work at UCSB
Step IV Post-Masters degree plus completion of at least one year GSR
Step V Advancement to doctoral candidacy
Steps VI-X Advancement to doctoral candidacy plus at least two years GSR experience

Salary scales can be found at the UCSB Academic Personnel website - Graduate Student Researcher


It may be possible to hire them for a limited period of time in a Limited Staff title.  Titles such as Lab Assistant & Staff Research Associate are restricted to specific hourly rates, require a formal job description, and are represented by union contracts.

Lab Assistant Series Concepts

Staff Research Associate Series Concepts

Please contact ISBER Student Personnel about this special circumstance.


Please visit


Click on the icon that reads, "sign into my accounts" 


1) Select " New User" on the sign in page

2) You will be taken to the screen "Forgot password - Identify yourself"

3) Use your full Social Security Number and your temporary password is your birthday in the following format (mmddyyyy)

4) Once you've signed in select "direct deposit" and you should be able to set up your account info


1) Sign in 

2) Select "direct deposit"

3) Select "continue" and enter your account information in the fields provided.





Most questions related to taxes, tax documents and tax filing need to be directed to Accounting, the Internal Revenue Service, or your own Tax Preparer. Employees who are not US citizens or permanent residents should contact the Office of International Students and Scholars for assistance.

To change your deductions on-line, go to the "Tax Withholdings" section under Income & Taxes found at UCOP's At Your Service website. You will need to sign in (“Sign in to My Accounts”).

It is your responsibility to turn in your timesheet and to get your supervisor’s approval on it.  If your supervisor is out of town or unavailable to sign, send them an e-mail listing the pay period and the number of hours being submitted (if possible, attach a copy of the timesheet to the e-mail).  Ask them to send their approval of the hours to Claudia Diaz or Chiara DiMarco in ISBER Student Personnel (it is best to cc them on the original message).

ISBER Student Personnel will not contact your supervisor for you, and the timesheet will not be processed until the approval has been obtained.

Note: This is only to be used for exceptional situations and not to be relied upon as a common practice.

Our campus has two pay cycles, Biweekly and Monthly

Biweekly pay schedule (Biweekly Pay Calendar):

If you're a Non-Exempt/hourly Staff employee, an undergraduate Student Assistant or graduate student employed in an hourly Student Assistant appointment title ONLY, you're paid on the Biweekly pay cycle and are required to complete a Biweekly timesheet.

Monthly pay schedule (paid the first of each month):

If you're an Exempt Staff employee, Academic employee, or graduate student employed in an academic student appointment title (GSR or TA), you will be paid on the first of each month. If the first falls on a weekend, you will be paid on the preceding Friday (except for December, which is always paid out on the first working day in January).

Graduate student employees who are concurrently employed in a student academic appointment title (GSR or TA) and an hourly Student Assistant appointment title are required to complete the hourly mid-month timesheet.

Note: We strongly encourage you to check with ISBER Personnel to ensure you complete the correct timesheet and know your pay cycle. There is no guarantee of payment on either the first or Biweekly pay dates if attendance records are turned in late.

Checks are ready for pick-up after 10 am on payday (1st of the month for monthly paychecks and for biweekly paychecks, see Biweekly Pay Calendar). If your only employer on campus is ISBER, go to room 2209 North Hall. If you have additional employment in another department, or have previously worked in another department, it is possible that ISBER is not your "home department."  You may contact ISBER Student Personnel to determine your "home department." 

To avoid delays or complications associated with paper paychecks, we strongly encourage all employees to sign up for direct deposit (see FAQ above).