- Academic or Staff Exempt employees are defined as monthly paid (salaried) employees who are NOT eligible for overtime, shift/duty pay. These employees only report sick and vacation leave in full days.
- Staff Non-Exempt employees are defined as Biweekly paid (hourly) employees who ARE eligible for overtime, shift/duty pay. These employees report all time worked, rounded to the nearest quarter hour (e.g .25, .50, .75).
Guidelines for Completing Hourly Timesheets
- Use ink, not pencil.
- Write as clearly as possible. This is very important! If you have to make a lot of corrections to your timesheet, complete a new one.
- Time In and Time Out is required. Do not simply fill in the total hours worked in a day.
Round time to quarter-hour increments (i.e., 0.25, 0.50, 0.75) for time in and time out and total hours worked.
Example: Arrive at 10:10, round time in to 10:15 Arrive at 10:05, round time in to 10:00
- Reflect lunch breaks, etc. in Time In and Out. If you stopped working at noon to take a lunch break, mark your time out as noon and your next time in for that day as the time you returned from lunch. You can enter multiple shifts in one day by using a "/" (e.g. In: 9/1 Out 12/4).
- Make sure to total all of your hours and fill in the "Total hours worked" box.
- Double-check your math.
- Sign your timesheet.
- Have your supervisor sign the timesheet before submitting it. If your supervisor is unavailable for signing, send her/him an e-mail (cc Kelsey & Claudia) reporting the number of hours and the pay period and ask them to forward that e-mail with their approval to Chiara & Claudia.
- Turn in your timesheet by the deadline.
Staff & Academic time cards are due on the 1st of each month for accrual usage to be recorded in the Leave Reporting System. The time card will be returned to you within two weeks.
Safety & Workers' Compensation
There is an Emergency Plan/Injury & Illness Prevention Program in each office in North Hall. Please familiarize yourself with the safety procedures and the meeting area in the event of an evacuation. If you are located outside of North Hall, please familiarize yourself with the emergency plan of the department providing space.
All employees are required to take the appropriate Environmental Health & Safety (EH&S) training. If you have not done so in the past, you can take the online module at the following address: https://www.learningcenter.ucsb.edu/employee-only-log After logging in, search for course "Non-Supervisor - Safety Rights, and Responsibilities (IIPP). It takes about 15 minutes; please notify Kelsey or Jana when you have completed the training.
Employees must also complete an Employee Safety Checklist, which can be found here: www.ehs.ucsb.edu/files/docs/ii/office_train_cklst.pdf
Workers' Compensation: http://www.workcomp.ucsb.edu/
Note: Contact Kelsey Ibach (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Jana Bentley (Jana.email@example.com) as soon as an injury occurs or is discovered. All injuries must be reported within 24 hours of the occurrence, and paperwork needs to be completed by the injured individual and their supervisor.