The University's use of funds for entertainment must be compatible with our stewardship responsibility and must have a strong ethical component. We should be able to show that our entertainment expenses are necessary and in the best interest of the public.
Things to consider before claiming an entertainment expense:
- Avoid situations that would require exceptions to policy (e.g. exceeding the maximum limits)
- Be sensitive to the current budget situation and public perceptions
- When two or more employees choose to dine together in order to continue business, or when a meeting can be scheduled during regular working hours, reimbursement for the meal is not allowed.
University policy requires approval in advance for all official entertainment payments and reimbursements. If you are planning an event where food or beverages will be served, please contact your Contract & Grant Manager to confirm that these expenses are allowable with your funds, and then send the following information to Katherine, Lacy or Claudia:
- Date, time, and location of event
- Guest list (showing names, titles, affiliations)
- Business related nature/purpose of the event
- Funds to be used
- Event flier (if available)
Only certain companies/restaurants have been approved to provide catering to UCSB, so please contact your Contract & Grant if you are planning on using a catering service of any kind. You can also request from your Contract & Grant Manager a copy of the list of currently approved caterers, though even using these require prior approval by the UCEN. If you want to save yourself the extra effort, we recommend using UCEN Catering services. (http://www.ucen.ucsb.edu/dining_services/ds_catering/ds_catering.html)
Please note that events will need to be approved by UCSB’s Office of Research in the following EXCEPTIONAL cases:
- If any alcohol will be purchased (or reimbursed)
- If any spouses/partners will be in attendance
- If any of the approved “meal caps” are exceeded (meal cap totals include, tax, tip, delivery, etc)
- Meal caps: $26 breakfast, $45 Lunch, $78 Dinner, $18 Refreshments
After the event has taken place, send all ORIGINAL receipts and invoices to your Contract & Grant Manager, along with a completed copy (signed by the PI and the host) of ISBER’s Entertainment Reimbursement Request Form.